2.13.2013

Sourdough from this weekend

I made a loaf of sourdough this weekend.  Started on Saturday, reviving the starter, and then moved on to mixing the dough on Sunday.  The recipe called for the dough to ferment in the refrigerator overnight (which I had not noticed - I do tend to under-investigate recipes before plunging into them).  So after the bulk fermentation, I put the loaf in the banneton, covered it with a cloth and slid it into the fridge.

Monday, after work, I got it out of the fridge and put it on my rising shelf (the top shelf over the washing machine) to let it get ready for the oven.  After about two hours, the dough was ready.  I'd already heated the oven and the baking stone, so I put the loaf on my homemade bread peel and slit it onto the baking stone.  I spritzed the loaf with water, covered it with the body of one of my enamel roasting pans, and let the heat do its work.

It turned out amazing!  My best loaf yet!  Even though I did not turn the oven down when I should have, and the result had just a little charring.  The crust was fabulous, the crumb was great and the look was perfect.  You'll notice, in the pictures of the cut slices, the left bottom corner is just a little too dark.

Below are pictures.





Thanks to Northwest Sourdough for the recipe and technique.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I am trying to do your recipe that was in the Chronicle for Sweet potato cinnamon rolls. It says one stick of shortening or 1/2 cup - which is it? a stick of shortening is a full cup.

Scott Zrubek said...

It should be 1 stick of butter, which equals 1/2 Cup, or 1/2 cup of shortening.


My apologies for any confusion, and I'm sorry for the delay in responding, I was out of town.